Saturday 22 June 2013

Week Two at the Globe and Midnight Matinee


What a mad week of Shrewing it has been.  We returned to the Globe to do shows on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights at 7.30...and an extra midnight matinee on the Friday.

Here are some pics of our warm up on our last day at the Globe, Friday, which was also filmed for the BBC world service...not quite sure if and when we'll get to see that...

The Globe shows have continued to be an amazing experience, and sold out, which is great - but nothing quite prepared us for the midnight matinee.
We knew that everyone who was coming was going to be fairly hardcore Globegoers, Shakespeare lovers, or at the very least up for a unique experience - but when we walked out on stage the cheering meant that we couldn't begin for quite some time...
The audience were so responsive and enthusiastic - there were times I was worried the laughter would mean we would grind to a halt - and I would be lying if I didn't say that they were the best lubricated audience we have performed to...which probably helped their responses along a bit...

But the show was also a surprising learning curve- I don't think I've ever let myself enjoy a show as much.  I always worry that if I relax too much I'll lose focus and the plot...but I suppose it's true that if you're relaxed, the audience also breathe out and just go with you...and we were tired, and it was mad, and yes some of the audience were a bit blotto - but I actually think it might have been the best show we've done so far.

And what a privilege to share such a unique experience with 1500 odd people in such an amazing place.

And to spare the blushes of the cast and crew I have not put up any photos of after the show...when we watched the sun come up in the yard of the Globe, with wine and hotdogs and so much adrenaline that even when I got home at 6am I couldn't sleep...


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you!